Sunday, April 29, 2012

diy clay feathers

i don't know about everyone else but i'm still totally in love with feathers.  well technically i had a fascination with them since i was small child before they were cool and adults were telling me that they were infested with germs and parasites...  but anyway, when i saw these ceramic feathers i knew i wanted some!!  these feathers are $42 for the set of 5 ceramic ornaments-pretty steep but you can make them less...waaay less.

i made mine out of some cheap-o air dry clay but i was really wishing i had shelled out for some more sculpey.  air dry clay has a tendency to get all crackly if you don't finish fast enough and it doesn't hold texture nearly as well as sculpey does.  plus it warped when it dried *sigh*.  that'll teach me to try and save some money lol.  but i think the warping makes it look somewhat more featherish?  i think it'll still make a nice pendant or some other accessory.  now i'm just wondering i should add some color to it...maybe a soft blue or gray?  i will def be making more of these with some better quality clay.  


if you want to make your own all you need is some clay and a toothpick (one of those metal ceramic probe thingies would probably work better but i think i left mine in storage...).  start by taking a small piece of clay and flatten it in the shape you want your feather to be in.  i started by tracing where i wanted the center quill of the feather to be and pressed down everywhere else so that the quill was the only raised area.  then just use your toothpick and make lines down on either side of the quill.  it'll probably look weird at first but the more lines you add the better it looks, and don't worry about making every line perfectly parallel no one will be able to tell when you're done.  drill a hole, cure the clay and now you have a new feather pendant!!



on a side note...can anyone guess what i had for dinner last night, breakfast and lunch today?  and will probably have again later as a snack?  smores...that's right i had smores for 3 meals in a row...  it did lack some authenticity since i was making it over my gas burner in the kitchen but hey it was still deliciously sweet and toasted.


22 comments:

  1. These turned out fabulous and have me aching to work with clay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salt dough! Maybe that would work too, since there are no stores that sell clay around me. Hm...salt dough and watercolors.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here is website with a recipe for air-dry porcelain:

      http://thejunkwave.com/2011/07/18/how-to-make-your-own-air-dried-porcelain-with-common-household-ingredients/

      i haven't tried it yet but it sounds interesting!!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty feather pendants! I think a light color would look cool on them, but the whit e is really cool too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!!! I have to make these! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some larger ones would look cool in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these would be excellent as a mobile or chandelier

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I was thinking of either a salt dough or a corn starch dough... then you can bake them with a glaze...ooooo that would look awesome... or enamel..like a shiny nail polish and top coat to give it the glare... please try this I want to see how your will come out. I will try it also.. kid friendly though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and delicate! Thanks for sharing your DIY - I will definitely try to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these clay feathers yesterday. It took some practice but they turned out very pretty and I pinned mine also on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made one with Sculpey clay. I even created a little break in the feather and gave it a little curve when I put it in the oven so it will set like it's blowing in the window. I made it about 3" long and will be using it for a pendant. THANK YOU for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am laying in bed ready for sleep, but had to print this out so I don't forget it by morning. Can't wait to make these feathers! Thanks for the idea.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  12. the most beautiful thing I have seen ... thank you for sharing your talent and knowledge...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful..im going to try them with my students as Mother's Day presents! I will post on my blog after (artwithmrswheelton.wordpress) :D following you now too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. another gorgeous thing on my 'to do ' list. I am going to have to live to 150 to get this list completed

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are fun, we featured your project on Creative Paperclay blog today, we hope you use our product for your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute is that... and looks pretty easy to make too. I love smores too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saw some with gold on the tips would look Awesome I wouldn't over decorate them

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saw some with gold on the tips would look Awesome I wouldn't over decorate them

    ReplyDelete
  19. Could you please share tutorial of the features pkz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this is so cute. Lovely clay craft DIY project. So vivid.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share any thoughts, comments, advice or just say hello! Your comments make my day so don't be shy!!